Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hippo Character Designs

These  rough designs are for a picture book in progress.

The textile on the mother hippo is collaged in, but I'll hand ink it in the final so it won't have such a mechanical look. I've distorted it with the photoshop "transform" tool to make it fit the contours of the hippo more. 

Again, my general approach to anthropomorphism is to have a degree of naturalism, to use real animal anatomy as much a possible, so no hands or little white mickey mouse gloves. 

I love drawing the wrinkled and massive hides of elephants, hippos and manatees, all of which will be present in this new book. But I still have changes to make in my previous book proposal, so this one is on hold till then! 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:59 AM

    Great balance between realism and anthropomorphism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Austin! That's the idea. And also: not freakish. Unfortunately we're just not in that Grandville/Tenniel era where anthropomorphic characters can look just a little bit scary. Cute must prevail. But cute on my terms, damnit!

    ReplyDelete